Most frequent questions and answers

Nevada law (NRS453A) currently allows cardholders to home cultivate if they fall into one or more of the following exceptions: 

  • If there is no dispensary in the county where your live or you do not live within 25 miles of a dispensary 
  • If there was no dispensary operating within 25 miles of where you live when you first applied for your card and have not had a lapse in your registration 
  • If you are unable to travel to a dispensary due to illness or lack of transportation 
  • If the dispensaries in the county in which you live are unable to supply the strain of marijuana necessary for your medical condition

You can apply online, however. Wildflower Consulting can assist you with expediting your application through the state.  Get Started

Per NRS 453A, only persons with a qualifying debilitating medical condition, with a valid Nevada Medical Marijuana Registry card are exempted from criminal laws of the state for engaging in the medical use of marijuana as justified to mitigate the symptoms or effects of the person’s debilitating medical condition.

Per NRS453A, you must have one or more of the follow qualifying medical conditions.

  1. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
  2. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  3. Cancer
  4. Glaucoma
  5. Cachexia
  6. Severe pain
  7. Severe nausea
  8. Seizures, including without limitation, seizures caused by epilepsy
  9. Persistent muscle spasms, including, but not limited to, spams caused by multiple sclerosis
    • Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
    • AIDS/HIV
    • Anxiety Disorders
    • Anorexia/Cachexia
    • Autism Spectrum Disorders
    • Autoimmune Diseases
    • Cachexia
    • Cancer
    • Glaucoma
    • Muscle spasms – not limited to those caused by multiple sclerosis
    • Neuropathic Conditions with or without Seizures
    • Opioid Addiction/Dependence
    • Pain – Chronic or Severe
    • Persistent muscle spasms, including, but not limited to, spasms caused by multiple sclerosis)
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    • Severe pain
    • Severe nausea
    • Seizures – with or without epilepsy


Pharmacies can only dispense medications “prescribed” by licensed medical practitioners. The federal government classifies marijuana as a Schedule I drug, which means licensed medical practitioners do not prescribe it. Instead, they recommend it. 

No. The Registry does not serve as a referral source. Any healthcare provider who is currently licensed to write a prescription for a chronic or debilitating medical condition and is in good standing with their Nevada Board can complete and sign the Attending Healthcare Provider Statement

Getting and Using a Medical Marijuana Card

The answer to all these questions is “no”. The fee must be paid in full with each submission of a completed application. The registration term is determined by you Healthcare Provider and is indicated on the Healthcare Provider Statement. The fees are a 1-year registration term for $50.00, and a 2-year registration term for $100.00. 

Yes, you can pay with a credit/debit card when you submit your application online.

Yes, as long as the individual signing your application identifies him or herself as your proxy next to his or her signature on your application, or provides documentation showing guardianship or power of attorney.

The answer to both questions is “yes”. You are required to notify the Registry in writing of any such changes within 7 days of the change. The Registry does not accept changes of information over the telephone. We only accept written changes about the cardholder’s address or designated primary caregiver from the registered cardholder. You may send your changes to the Registry by mail, fax, mail or if you are in the Carson City area you may do it in person. The Registry will send you written confirmation that the change request was processed. Your changes will be made in our computer database and will be put in your file. If you change your caregiver, you will be asked to return the old caregiver card within 7 days

At this time, there are no reciprocal agreements with other states to honor Nevada medical marijuana cards. This includes states that have medical marijuana programs of their own, such as Oregon and California. 

Because medical marijuana programs vary by state, you may want to contact the state(s) you travel to for information on their laws.

Legal Matters

No. If you have questions concerning compliance with the Medical Use of Marijuana laws in Nevada, you should consult an attorney.

It is up to you to decide whether or not to tell your landlord that you are a cardholder in the Medical Marijuana Registry. Nothing in NRS 453A specifically addresses whether or not you can be evicted because you are a cardholder, even if you only possess the amount of medical marijuana allowed by law. Nevada medical marijuana laws do not specifically address whether or not a person in the medical marijuana program can live in subsidized housing. If you have questions about these important issues, we recommend that you talk to an attorney to learn about your rights and protections.

The Nevada Medical Marijuana Act states that employers are not required to accommodate employees who use medical marijuana. You may wish to consult an attorney about whether or not to tell your employer that you are a cardholder.